4 Everyday Things That Can Clog Your Drain...
Clogs are one of the most common plumbing problems that you can experience. And while they are not completely preventable, there are a few things you should never, ever put down your drain.
1. COFFEE GROUNDS: Coffee grounds are as good as cement in pipes. True fact. When you dump the coffee grounds down the drain, they’ll turn into an impenetrable nightmare.
Compost them, or spread them in your garden. Coffee grounds make excellent fertilizer!
2. HAIR: Long hair is the main culprit here, but even short hair can contribute to a clogged drain. Loose hair can quickly turn into a large clump that’s tangled with soap scum, water deposits and whatever else happens to find its way into your drain.
Fit all of your tubs and shower drains with strainers to catch the hair (and other particles). Just be sure to clean the strainer on a regular basis.
3. GREASE: When you pour hot grease down your drain, it transforms into a hard substance that sticks to the inside your pipes.
Pour the grease into a can, jar or other container, and put it in the fridge or freezer. When the container is full, toss it in the garbage.
4. PAPER: Toilet paper is designed to break down when wet. Other kinds of paper, like paper towels, tissues and feminine hygiene products do not. They will flush, but instead of disintegrating, you will definitely end up with a clogged toilet. Recycle, if possible, or put them in the trash.
* Even if you’re not in the habit of flushing these things down the drain, your pipes can still clog up from time to time. If you have a clog, please do not pour Drano (or any caustic liquid drain cleaners) down the drain. If the clog is complete, the corrosive ingredients will become trapped in your pipes and cause major damage to them.
If you have any questions or you are in need of service, please call your Neighbourhood Plumbing Experts, Canada's Pro Plumbing @ 905-935-0100.